Thursday, November 5, 2015

A Conscious Decision

This past week was spent in New Jersey comforting a new widow. I only met her and her husband a year ago, though to Gil, a lifelong friend. I did not feel I had the right to intrude upon her during what is obviously a stressful and emotional time. But when the diagnosis was dire, we made immediate plans to visit, not expecting that Lloyd's departure from this Earth would be almost instantaneous.
Sylvia still wished us to visit.
Thus I went to the land of my birth, but do not recognize it anymore. That was very disconcerting.
She was a gracious host and completely at a loss of what to say or do, much like myself, plunged into the midst of her emotional pain.
I was so happy to see the trees had left some of their blazon autumnal color after what has been a warm fall for the area. I was even more grateful for a brief escape to the shore to get that salt air and sand into my lungs, my hair, my shoes. We busied ourselves, if only for a mere hour, with nothing more than picking up colorful scallop shells, our only souvenirs of the trip.

Long Beach Island
Well, not quite only. We came away with the knowledge that we offered comfort, a small dose of healing and a lot of hugs. An invitation has been extended for her to visit for the upcoming holidays, which we hope she takes us up on.
And there is that conscious emotional decision, to have hope, to seek joy and wonder. And thus this inchie within a twinchie:


The prompt for the week is appropriately enough, "Emotion." It's always kind of freaky when the art and the life intersect like so. But isn't that part of art? To explore the present, even if the emotions are raw. Isn't that what makes us insanely human?

(There are SIX "joys" buried in this two-inch square. I found a magazine from last December and it was loaded with "JOY!" For collage freaks, it was made from a single-source).

For the twinchie challenge, TwobytwobyTuesday, that I also host, I made an actual pieced Nine-Patch to go along with this weeks concept. Not my shining hour considering I've been sewing for, well, a long while. But I had to try to do it!


Eventually that'll make it into a much larger patchwork!

I haven't done much else this week. My son was visiting and well, the weather said the high country had a bit of snow overnight, so we decided to have lunch in Flagstaff. (For the record, about 10 inches fell there). Just a quick jaunt...


Not exactly what comes to mind when you think of sunny Arizona, huh? We're supposed to have frost here at home tonight! Crazy!

Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate the company and your thoughts. If you have a chance, check out the other blogs I've mentioned here and the fine artists that participate. And even give them a chance to create teenie artworks!

Have a brilliant day!

12 comments:

  1. So glad that you were able to be there for this lady, your presence meant more than you could ever know, (as widow myself I know what a presence like that means) I adore the inchie. what a great take on the theme and I really love the twinchie, I wish I could sew that great! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Freebird, thank you. I truly appreciate your thoughts. I wish I could have been there for you, but I suspect your loss was great, profound and a while ago. I know time heals and we are a strong bunch; we persevere. c

      Delete
  2. Sad to have to comfort a friend in her loss but very worthwhile. Nice artwork

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chrissie. I have to believe in the Swedish proverb that grief shared is half the sorrow. There was love in abundance, and that's what matters. c

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you found something positive to come from your experience. You made a very nice inchie with an emotion we should all strive for. Also, I stared with longing at that beautiful photo. We used to go "down the shore" as often as we could when I was growing up. Now, I wish we had gone more. There is nothing like it in the world. I hope your friend can come to AZ to see the special beauty we have here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. I captured a video, too, out at LBI, so I can hear the ocean, not just see it! Growing up in Jersey, we only went onto the beach in winter, keeping away from the summer crowds. It never quite leaves you, but it's nice to re-energize every once in a while. It keeps me centered. But I love Arizona and hope Sylvia can see what we see in it! c

      Delete
  4. How fortuitous that you could be there to offer comfort. Love your Joy inchie - what a good reminder to take the best from life while you can. Love you twinchie too - one of my early quilts was a nine patch, as they are fairly easy to do - but can't imagine doing it in two inches! Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kia. I am fortunate to add among my friends all these inchie folks, a good man who had a good life and his darling bride, of sharp wit and an interesting attitude on life. I also had a fascinating sewing teacher, who really captivated my interest and developed for me a life-long interest. My mom taught me to sew, but Mrs. Tuttle taught me to like it. c

      Delete
  5. I am impressed by your twinchie nine patch.
    Brilliant inchie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Trillian! Ye of smashing talent in the needle arts; I take that as quite the compliment! c

      Delete
  6. Gosh, what an emotional time for you. I'm joining in with above comments - looooooove the twinchie! Love everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Zoe. The emotional roller coaster has been (almost) as exciting as the flights to get there and back. Glad you like what I've put down here. c

      Delete