Monday, December 1, 2014

Malibu Ken

Miss me?
I hope you enjoyed your holiday, if you're in the States celebrating Thanksgiving. If you're elsewhere, and everyone, I hope you are enjoying whatever holidays you wish. Mine included a visit from the paramedics. I am grateful for the persons who had the foresight to dial 911 and for the wonderful folks who attended to my health.
Lucky you, I'm back to my normal and pretty demented self. I say that as I really went on a limb with the Diva's challenge today. The guest post host went all girlie and asked for doll-inspired art and all I could think of was Malibu Ken. While I know where my Barbies are packed, I just did a little research and found some really awesome examples of hideous Ken clothes. And a real-life human Malibu Ken on Twitter.

That was entertaining, wasn't it? I know you looked.

[12.02.14: I really think he's on tumBLr or whatever that is. I'm sure you'll find him if you're really looking...!]

I used the fabrics of those clothes as inspiration and String 008 from tanglepatterns.com.
Mod Cloth
I also finally did LAST week's Diva challenge:
Yuma Grid

The Inchie for the week is Xenon. I learned that it glows blue under certain conditions. Once upon a time I knew Chemistry, but this was new information for me, so I doctored up some plain type:


And for the Twinchie, for Advent, I found this great photograph on Ski Australia:

I love lights, I wish I could keep them up all year. The challenge is that all of mine have been packed away for almost three years and I suspect this will approximate the mess I'll be getting into next week! I did not take the photograph, and cannot claim ownership of it. I just think it's funny. 

Tis the season to celebrate the LIGHT! 

26 comments:

  1. All fantastic! But the Advent one - both thumbs up, top stuff, unreal, grouse (that's Australia for unreal)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grouse?! As in, the bird?! How bizarre is that?! Thanks for the new vocabulary, Zoe. Have a brilliant day! c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the artwork and the great inchie.

    Hope you are feeling ok now

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Chrissie. And yes, all is well. If I were my kids age, I'd probably say I'm sick, which means really awesome or grouse like Zoe says....Have a brilliant day! c

      Delete
  4. Glad you had someone around who thinks well under pressure. Love all your work this week. The advent twinchie is to die for. By the way, you can leave your lights up, they look pretty no matter what the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JL. I like to surround myself with caring, competent people, don't you? That's why other people are called exes. If I ever get the lights untwisted, I just might leave them up year-round! Have a brilliant day! c

      Delete
  5. Like you, I love lights (and probably most people do) and the photo made me laugh! I like the tangles you have chosen for this (and last week's) challenge.
    Hope your health is OK now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heel erg bedankt ! Blij dat ik je aan het lachen ; we moeten allemaal wat plezier in het leven , ja? Hebben een schitterende dag, Annemarie!

      Delete
  6. We also love the Christmas lights and I'm sure we'll have fun putting them up a bit nearer Christmas. Great tiles and I hope you are back to good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Christine! Have a brilliant day! c

      Delete
  7. Our daughter says they can make it for Christmas and she wants to be greeted with lights! I have become a bit of a Grinch...so your last pic really struck home! hahaha! Hope I can find some packed away before Christmas eve. Love your malibu Ken inspiration, really made me laugh too! Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Hunell,, I am glad I could instill some fun and happiness into your day. Enjoy! Have a brilliant day! c

      Delete
  8. what a pretty blue inchie - so vibrant

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lily! Your work is so accomplished that this is truly a compliment. Van egy ragyogó nap, Lily! c

      Delete
  10. I like how you interpreted the challenge. If leaving the lights on makes you happy go for it! I always smile when I see them up all year round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just might have to keep the lights on! Thanks, Lisha. Have a brilliant day! c

      Delete
  11. First of all, I'm glad you are feeling better. My last visit with paramedics also turned out well, so I know how that feels. http://www.boomeresque.com/if-you-want-to-make-god-laugh-tell-him-about-your-plans-honolulu-hawaii-edition/
    As a person of a certain age, your Malibu Ken inspired art resonates. The only improvement would be if you had wrapped him in Chrismas lights. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne! I have read your take on the Woody Allen thought...Like we think we're totally in control! HA! And perhaps a certain Ken doll needs wrapping...ah, I can get VERY creative...Have a brilliant day! c

      Delete
  12. Very inventive interpretation - and ya gotta love Ken, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Antonine! Let's see we have Ken, Alan, Steve....then there's G.I.Joe and all HIS friends...Glad you liked my twisted take on things! Have a brilliant day. c

      Delete
  13. Love your tile with Ken Patterns. As a diehard Barbie fan, I recognized where these came from and immediately thought of Ken's clothes before I even read your blog. Great art this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lezli! I appreciate your kind thoughts. Have a brilliant day! c

      Delete
  14. Teehee! I think I will forever have images of Ken's clothing embedded in my brain. What a fun way to interpret the challenge this week. Thank you for playing along with me this week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily, I enjoyed your challenge. And it appears a lot of folks got a real kick out of my weird translation. That's how it goes with artistic and tangly people, hmm? This is definitely NOT Sunkist oranges; you never know what you might get. Have a brilliant day! c

      Delete