Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Spacey Space Themes

Previously, I mentioned that NASA released new images from the Hubble Telescope of the Eagle Nebula and that I could not find the links again. Well, tada! Here we go:

New!
Pillars of Creation in
Infrared
You can read the information here.  I found it as I was reading the story about how five of our planetary sisters are all going to line up in the sky starting tomorrow. That would be something to see, wouldn't it? I hope to get up to the Lowell Observatory and check it out through their telescopes.

There were also photographs from the ISS of a space zinnia.

I was very glad to find the links again as I had designs on the stars. 

You know you can put images from Hubble to personal use, right? It's a public domain thing, since We-the-People have paid for the space program. Therefore, you get this:

Space Bubble
Photomontage
It wasn't really doing what I wanted it to do, but yet another digital image collage is born (is it really collage if no paper is involved?) in answer to an art challenge. This one is for EIM; the word of the week is, "sofa." I wanted to tackle the thing from the perspective of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," just without the crazy two-headed president. (I'm almost done re-reading the book!!)

A different art challenge I responded to this week is from the Diva. This week is to raise awareness of Moebius Syndrome; her son has this neurological condition. Please read her post and you'll get an understanding of what that all means. Here's my rather simple answer:

MOEBIUS
Staedler Watercolor and
Derwent Metallic Pencils
Remember creating Moebius paper strips in school? Or even better yet, going to the Museum of Science and seeing their massive Moebius sculpture? Or the Van de Graaf generator? COOL!

If you're wearing an infinity scarf, that's a Moebius! If you're a fan of Dune or the Fifth Element, that's a different Moebius. If you're my friend, Mark the sculptor, you have created several stone Moebius. And if you're a little boy nicknamed, "Artoo," that's living with Moebius

I thank you for stopping by. If you're in the greater Phoenix area the next few weeks, I'll be hanging out at the Celebration of Fine Arts ("The BIG white tents") weekends through February 7 or thereabouts. Booth 216. FIND OUT WHY! You can email me (1xeritas@gmail dot com) to see when exactly I'm there; I'd love to see you! 

Meanwhile, the twinchie word of the week is, "MONEY!" That's what I'm doing next! How about you?!


18 comments:

  1. thanks for your science news - I'm a space-junkie - isn't the flower amazing!!! wonder in which direction it grows - does it have an up or does it grow towards its light source?

    Love your couch in the bubble in space - very fitting for this year's theme and this week's word at EIM (I'm asking everyone where the sofa is in HHGG - do you know, seeing as you are re-reading)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the sofa! It's early on in the story where the president of the galaxy makes a grand entrance, a red sofa in a bubble, barreling through space. Then he hijacks a spaceship! What a wild story.
      I love the zinnia, don't you? They figure if they can grow that, they can grow tomatoes. WOW. YUP, me too, I'm a space junky.

      Delete
    2. thanks for clearing up the sofa reference for me - don't know why I missed it - I just remember him stealing the ship and on a boat? I should have made my sofa red!

      Delete
    3. thanks for clearing up the sofa reference for me - don't know why I missed it - I just remember him stealing the ship and on a boat? I should have made my sofa red!

      Delete
  2. What an awesome picture! And thanks for the info about the space pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another space junkie here - loved your blog post and am saving it to follow all the links later. I didn't know that about the pictures being in the public domain. I love your Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Sofa :-)

    A lovely response to the Diva Challenge. I like the way you put Rick's Paradox on the outside edges as well as in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to take my eyes off that first star picture, it's so lovely and your "simple" Diva tile is great too. I like the lightness you have brouhgt to it. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have to read that book. It may make more sense of the words. I'd go my own way anyway, so I suppose it doesn't matter. I do love the floating sofa, and your möbius is a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fabulous inchie, tangles and information. The twinchie arrived safely, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an amazing red sofa! What I'd give to curl up on there with a good book :-)

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful and very playful Möbius logo! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your diva tile. It's so playful and very well coloured - just beautyful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Outer space is kind of scary, but your Hubble telescope photo is mesmerizingly beautiful. I like the depth you achieved on your Moebius tile without any overt shading. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: It was a little hard to picture you (or anyone) wearing gloves for warmth at 57 degrees.

      Delete
  11. Love your tile...so light and delicate. Nicely done. And I am also a space junkie, so thank you for the pictures ... and I need to go back and re-read HHGG as it has been years since I read it last.

    ReplyDelete